Home  »  Knowledge base  »  Can I travel back to the country where I experienced past persecution or claim a fear of future persecution?

According to the Instructions for Application for Travel Document, if you applied for asylum on or after April 1, 1997, your asylum status may be terminated if the U.S. Government determines that you have voluntarily availed yourself of the protection of your country of nationality or, if stateless, country of last habitual residence.

Travelling back to the country where you experienced past persecution or claim a fear of future persecution is possible but highly discouraged. Your refugee or asylum status will most probably be terminated, as in such cases USCIS considers that you actually did not experience past persecution, you were not eligible for refugee or asylum status in the first place and this was a fraud. Therefore, be prepared to explain why do you want to travel back to the country from which you fled.

Thus, in order not to lose your refugee or asylum status, we strongly recommend to consult with an immigration attorney before filing for a Refugee Travel Document.

646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.