Home  »  Knowledge base  »  If my green card expires, can I still apply for naturalization with Form N-400?

If your green card expires or has already expired, you continue to be a permanent resident of the United States. You do not lose your immigration status. However, the physical card that proves your status is expired and generally not valid for most uses. And yet it’s not mandatory to renew an expired green card before applying for citizenship.

You still can apply for naturalization with Form N-400 with an expired green card. Although USCIS prefers that you always have a valid green card, this doesn’t mean your naturalization application will be rejected.

But a conditional green card is a different situation. If you obtained conditional residence through marriage to a U.S. citizen, the initial green card issued to you will last for only two years. The expiration of the green card is in fact the expiration date of the conditional status. Within the 90-day period before the card expires, the conditional resident should file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions, with the spouse. Certain exceptions exist for petitioners that are no longer able to apply with a spouse due to death or divorce. Someone that has gained permanent resident status through marriage to a U.S. citizen can generally apply for naturalization after just three years. But first, the Form I-751 must be filed.

If you ask USCIS, they will likely tell you that an unexpired green card is required before applying for naturalization. In fact, carrying valid, unexpired proof of your permanent resident status is required by law. Besides there are plenty of reasons to keep your green card up-to-date and current (travelling, home loan, driver’s license, employment). Thus, if you are considering U.S. citizenship, file Form N-400 before your green card expires. It will prevent further possible complications.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.