Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, is used to apply for a replacement of U.S. citizenship documents, namely of Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention, Repatriation Certificate; or to apply for a special certificate of naturalization to be recognized as a U.S. citizen by a foreign country.
You are eligible to apply for a replacement if:
– Your Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention, or Repatriation Certificate was lost, stolen, destroyed, or mutilated.
– There was a typographical/clerical error in the above-mentioned document(s) made by USCIS.
– Your name was officially changed and you seek a document in your new name.
– You obtained a court order or a state-issued document that changes your date of birth and you seek a new Certificate of Citizenship with the new date of birth.
– You were issued a Certificate of Citizenship or a Certificate of Naturalization and your change of gender is legally recognized (through a court order, a government-issued document, or a medical certification).
– You are a naturalized citizen seeking a special Certificate of Naturalization for the purpose of a foreign country recognizing you as a citizen of the USA.
You can file Form N-565 with USCIS either online or by mail (paper version of the form).
Also, in case you want to receive an e-mail and/or a text message notifying that your Form N-565 has been accepted by USCIS, you should additionally complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the first page of your application.