Home  »  Knowledge base  »  When does my time as a permanent resident begin?

Your time as a permanent resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is stated in your Permanent Resident Card (green card). It is indicated on the bottom of green card near words “Resident Since:”.

However, don’t be surprised if your “Resident Since” date is prior to the date that you received your actual green card. For example, if you were granted an immigrant visa at the U.S. embassy in your home country and the green card was mailed to you at your U.S. address, you’ll notice that the date will be the actual grant date.

And if you do not have your green card in your possession, you may be able to determine your time as a permanent resident from another document. Search for the I-797 Notice of Action or consular letter that granted your permanent resident status. The date of the letter is the date you became a permanent resident.


Also read:

If my green card expires, can I still apply for naturalization with Form N-400?

If one of my parents is a U.S. citizen, am I also U.S. citizen?

646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.