Home  »  Knowledge base  »  What happens if my child ages out?

For immigration purposes, a “child” is defined as a person who is both unmarried and under the age of 21. If a person applied for lawful permanent resident status as a child but turned 21 before being approved for receiving a green card, that person could no longer be considered as a “child”. This situation is called “aging out”. It means that such applicant would have to file a new petition or even may no longer be eligible for a green card.

However, there is Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) that prevents “aging out” complications. CSPA applies to children of US citizens, lawful permanent residents and derivative beneficiaries of family-based visas. CSPA provides a method for calculating a person’s age to see if he/she meets the definition of a child for immigration purposes (so called “CSPA age”).

CSPA works the following way for immediate relative category:

  • If you are filing Form I-130 as a permanent resident parent and you naturalize before your child turns 21, your son’s/daughter’s age “freezes” on the date when you naturalized.

As for family preference category, CSPA allows to subtract the number of days that the petition was pending from the child’s biological age at the time of visa availability. This is applicable only if the beneficiary (child) seeks to acquire the status of a legal permanent resident within 1 year of the date visa became available.

Meanwhile, please note that in all cases the child must remain unmarried in order to qualify.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.