Home  »  Knowledge base  »  How do I show evidence that I was not required to file a Federal income tax return?

Each sponsor needs to submit taxes and W2’s if he/she is not using an IRS printout, or provide a reason for not filing taxes. Information regarding your income and taxes should be provided in Part 6 “Sponsor’s Employment and Income” of Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. In Part 6, item 24, you should indicate your total income (adjusted gross income on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1040EZ) as reported on your Federal income tax returns for the most recent 3 years was. You are supposed to indicate a tax year and a total income in dollars. Do not leave the field for the most recent year blank. If the amount was zero, type or print “zero”, or if you were not required to file a Federal income tax return type or print “N/A” for not applicable.

Not everybody is obliged to file a Federal income tax return each year. You are not required to file a Federal income tax return if, for example, you did not work and thus the income was zero, if your income was below the threshold, or if your total income for the year did not overpass the standard deduction plus one exemption and you are not a dependent to another tax payer. In such cases, you will have to attach the evidence that your income was below the IRS required level. In simple cases, a personal declaration can serve as a sufficient evidence. Additionally, you can submit forms W-2s or 1099s as a proof of your low income level.

Meanwhile please note that if you are not required to file a Federal income tax return, then most probably it means that your income amount is not enough to sponsor the intending immigrant and thus a joint sponsor is required.

Also, do not submit any tax returns that you filed with any foreign government, unless you claim that you were not required to file a Federal individual income tax return with the United States Government and you wish to rely on the foreign return solely to establish the amount of your income that is not subject to tax in the United States.


Also read:
Who should file the I-864 affidavit of support?
What is country of domicile on Form I-864?

646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.