Home  »  Knowledge base  »  I’m a permanent resident. Do I need a Re Entry Permit to travel?

You as a lawful permanent resident or a conditional permanent resident do need a Re Entry Permit to travel outside the USA in case you plan to be abroad for more than 1 year but less than 2 years. It allows re-entering the United States upon returning from abroad, without having to obtain a returning resident visa.

If you stay outside the country for more than 1 year without a Re Entry Permit, you will most likely be denied reentering into the USA on the ground that you abandoned your permanent resident status.

Meanwhile, you do not need a Re-entry Permit if you will be outside the USA for less than 1 year. In this case, you may use a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as your travel document.

Please note that permanent residents must maintain ties to the United States anyway and the travels must be temporary in nature, as even with a Reentry Permit you must meet the continuous residence requirement in order to pursue naturalization.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.