Home  »  Knowledge base  »  What documents do I need to send with my N-400 application?

Below is a full list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.

  1.  Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551, attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
  2.  Application filing fee and fee for biometrics (if applicable). You can attach a check or money order for the fee. You can pay the application filing fee and the fee for biometrics in one check or money order. You must submit all fees in the exact amounts. USCIS will reject your Form N-400 if you submit the incorrect fee or an incorrect payment method. USCIS also will reject your Form N-400 if you include payment for more than what you are required to pay.
  3.  Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide 2 identical color passport-style photos taken recently. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the photo.


Also if the following is applicable, you will need:

  • Legal documents with your new name if you have changed your name and it is different from that on your green card.
  • Documents related to criminal records.
  • If you are applying for a disability exception to the citizenship test requirements, submit Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed by a licensed medical doctor.


Submit the following if you are applying for naturalization based on marriage to a U.S. citizen:

  1.  One of the following documents of your husband or wife to prove that he or she has been a citizen of the U.S. for the past 3 years:
  • Birth certificate or,
  • Naturalization certificate or,
  • Certificate of Citizenship or,
  • U.S. passport or,
  • Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America.
  1.  Your marriage certificate.
  2.  Divorce decree(s), annulments or death certificate(s), in case of prior marriages. Submit the required documents as proof of termination of your previous marriage(s).
  3.  Bank accounts, birth certificates of children, tax receipts, etc., to prove that you and your spouse are legally married and are living together.


If you are applying for citizenship based on your U.S. military service, submit

Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.

If you had traveled abroad for more than 6 months after you became a green card holder, to show that had kept ties to the U.S. during that time abroad, you must submit:

  1.  IRS tax return transcripts,
  2.  Pay stubs or rent receipts.


Signature. Each application must be properly completed, signed, and filed. For all signatures on this application, USCIS will not accept a stamped or typewritten name in place of a handwritten signature. A legal guardian may sign for a mentally incompetent person.

Copies. You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. If you submit original documents when not required or requested by USCIS, your original documents may be immediately destroyed upon receipt.

Translations. If you submit a document with information in a foreign language, you must also submit a full English translation. The translator must sign a certification that the English language translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

Besides, we recommend that you print or save a photocopy of your completed N-400 application to review in the future and for your records.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.