How to claim dual citizenship in the United States?

Whether your parents immigrated to the United States or you were simply born in another country and moved to the US, it is possible for you to acquire dual citizenship. We will mention the main conditions under which you will become a US citizen and retain your current citizenship.

Basically, you can become a citizen of the United States and therefore acquire dual citizenship in the following cases:

You were born in the United States and the other country’s laws allow you to be a citizen of another country.

As the US grants a citizenship right for anyone who was born in the country, check if you were truly born in the US. Even if your parents were illegally in the US, you still are considered as a true US citizen if you were born on the US soil. This is called the right of soil. To obtain a US citizenship it is sufficient to provide your certificate of birth.

Lastly, you should verify that the laws of the country you live do not restrict or prohibit dual citizenship. Otherwise, you will not be able to gain dual citizenship: you will either have lose your original citizenship or will not acquire the US citizenship.

  • One of your parents or both parents are citizens of the United States.

Many of the world states acknowledge your citizenship if at least one of your parents is national of that country. This principle for applying a citizenship is called jus sanguinis, or the right of blood. For example, if your parent or parents are US citizens and they lived in the US for a long time, but you were born in some other country, say, Canada, you eventually become a citizen of both countries.

To claim your right for citizenship by parentage, you will have to apply the Form N-600. Keep in mind, however, that United States of Citizenship and Immigration Services list many stipulations over acquiring citizenship by parentage. Check into those stipulations before claiming your right.

The other ways to become a US citizen demand you to become a permanent resident first. In other words, you need a green card.

  • You want to work in the United States for a some time and invest in the country’s economy.

You can gain US citizenship if you legally get a green card and work in the US long enough. In case with the United States, you can obtain citizenship in five years. You need to also pass the naturalization test to become a true US citizen.

  • You are married to an American.

This is also a legal way to become a US citizen. But to get US citizenship in this way, you and your spouse need to get ready to many personal questions that USCIS will ask. Asking such questions, the US government can check if your marriage is genuine. You also need to have a legally acquired green card.

One last stipulation is this: all approaches to gaining US citizenship must conform with the legislation in your country. Make sure you do not break any laws, and you will be safe.

We listed the top four ways to become a US citizen and acquire dual citizenship at the same time.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Be aware of any changes in US immigration policy

Our robot will always keep you posted on the Facebook is not a law firm. We do not provide legal advise or opinion to our customers. If you have a complicated case or need to receive a legal advise please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Immigration Advocacy Service

Immigration Advocacy Service

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.




160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.


The latest news on immigration in the US

Always fresh and relevant

You have Successfully Subscribed!