What are the citizenship types in the US?

As you become a United States citizen, you obtain many rights as well as many obligations. Many people migrate to the United States to get those rights, and the US encourages immigration. There are several citizenship types in the United States. The term ‘type of citizenship’ refers to how you acquire a US citizenship.

You can become a citizen in the US in two basic ways. So here are the US types of citizenship:

  • Citizenship by birth.

To acquire this type of US citizenship, your parents, or at least one parent, must be US citizens, or you must be born on the American soil. That is, if your parents are Americans but you were born in some other country, you become a US citizen by birth. The same rule applies to you when you are born on the United States territory.

Verify whether your father, mother, or both parents were US citizens and have been living in the US for enough time, and you will know if your type of US citizenship is by birth. And if you want to acquire US citizenship through parents, you may need to apply for the Certificate of Citizenship.

  • Citizenship acquired through naturalization.

This second type of US citizenship applies to you when none of your parents are true American citizens, but you still want to become a lawful citizen of the United States. Naturalization is a ten-step process, and you need to firstly know if you are permanently ineligible for US citizenship. As a proof of your US citizenship obtained through naturalization, you will get a Certificate of Naturalization.

For example, according to the Article II of the US Constitution, “no person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President…” In other words, should you become a naturalized US citizen or a citizen by birth, you can even become the President of the United States.

While the majority of EAD cards are good for 1 year, no one will ever be granted a work permit that is valid for longer than their authorized stay in the U.S. How long your work permit is valid for will depend on your current legal immigration status, or what kind of visa you have entered the U.S. on.

For instance, if you came to the United States with a K-1 fiancé visa and applied for work authorization, you could only be granted an EAD card that is valid for the 90 days before your K-1 visa was terminated. While that may seem like it would create an unnecessarily difficult situation for a fiancé who plans to apply for a green card after the wedding and stay in the U.S., it does not in reality. After the wedding, the fiancé may apply to adjust status, and subsequently apply for a work permit that will last for a longer period of time.

Also, some applicants are allowed to renew their EADs if their stay in the U.S. is extended beyond the duration of the original work permit.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Be aware of any changes in US immigration policy

Our robot will always keep you posted on the Facebook



Usimmigrationforms.com is not a law firm. We do not provide legal advise or opinion to our customers. If you have a complicated case or need to receive a legal advise please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Immigration Advocacy Service

Immigration Advocacy Service

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.


The latest news on immigration in the US

Always fresh and relevant

You have Successfully Subscribed!