Home  »  Knowledge base  »  Can I travel abroad immediately after I file Form I-131 for a Refugee Travel Document?

Individuals who hold refugee status and who are not lawful permanent residents must have a Refugee Travel Document to have the right to re-enter the USA after travel abroad (unless they possess an Advance Parole Document).

Thus, before travelling outside the USA you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, and wait till USCIS approves it. Besides, after filing your Form I-131, you will have to attend in person the biometrics services appointment.

The processing time of Form I-131 is approximately 3 months, so if you are in a hurry and have an emergency situation, you may request an expedited processing to receive your Refugee Travel Document faster.

In case you do not receive a Refugee Travel Document before you leave the United States, you may be unable to return to the USA or you may be placed in removal proceedings before an immigration judge. If you still need to leave the USA before you obtain your Refugee Travel Document, you should consult with an immigration attorney.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.