Home  »  Knowledge base  »  How do I adjust status if I have a K-1 fiancé visa?

If you entered the United States on a K-1 visa, you have 90 days in which to get married to your US citizen fiancé who sponsored the K-1 visa. The visa cannot be renewed, so if you don’t get married within that time, you are expected to leave the country. But once you are married, you can apply for a green card and receive permanent resident status through the process called “adjustment of status.” As a foreign spouse of a US citizen you will have to file an adjustment of status packet that includes Form I-485 (and some other related USCIS forms) to have the right to live and work in the United States.

The following documents must be submitted together with your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status:

  • Copy of the marriage certificate (to show that you as a K-1 nonimmigrant fiancé(e) married the US citizen within the required 90-days period).
  • Evidence to prove the legal termination of any prior marriages, typically a divorce certificate or death certificate (if either party to this marriage was previously married).
  • Two recent identical passport-style photographs.
  • Copy of the birth certificate.
  • Copy of a government-issued identity document with your photo (passport, driver’s license or military identification document).
  • Copies of documentation showing you were inspected by an immigration officer and either admitted or paroled into the United States: copy of passport page with admission or parole stamp, copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa.
  • Form I-94 Arrival-Departure Record.
  • Approval notice or notice of action on Form I-797 or Form I-130 (for all extensions and changes of nonimmigrant status).
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support.
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (either full Form I-693 is required or only certain parts, in case you already had a medical examination overseas). Meanwhile, note that it is not obligatory to submit Form I-693 at the same time you file your adjustment application. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485, thus you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination.
  • Copies of any other approved applications related to your application for K status (for example, Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) or Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility).
  • Certified police and court records for any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions you had (if you were EVER arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer for any reason ANYWHERE in the world).

Also note that you cannot apply Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with expired K-1 visa.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.