Home  »  Knowledge base  »  Which documents should I include with my I-485 adjustment of status packet?

Form I-485 is rarely filed by itself. The list of the supporting documents that you should submit together with your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, varies significantly depending on the basis of your application.

As a rule, a family-based adjustment of status packet additionally includes the following USCIS forms:

  • Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, that should be filed together with Form I-485 (unless it has already been filed and approved previously).
  • Form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary, required only if Form I-130 is for your spouse.
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA, is required if your application is based a fiancé or family-based petition.
  • Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, which is necessary to prove that you are not inadmissible on health-related grounds. You may submit it simultaneously with the adjustment application or after you file your Form I-485 (thus you may avoid having to repeat the immigration medical examination as Form I-693 is time-limited).
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, is an optional form used to request permission to work in the USA.
  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, is an optional form required only if you plan to travel outside the USA while your Form I-485 is still pending (including trips to Mexico and Canada).

Also, you will need the following supporting documents: two recent identical passport-style photographs; copy of the birth certificate; copy of a government-issued identity document with your photo; copies of any other previously approved applications; police clearances, if applicable.

Note that if you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying additional fees.

If you want to receive permanent resident status based on K-1 fiancé visa, please see the list of required documents in our article “How do I adjust status if I have a K-1 fiancé visa”.

If you are applying based on asylee or refugee status please consult the USCIS official website for additional details.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.