Home  »  Knowledge base  »  What is a Re Entry Permit?

A Re-entry Permit is one of the types of the travel document obtained by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. It is a passport-like booklet for multiple use. Usually, a Re-entry Permit is valid for 2 years, but the validity period may vary.

Lawful permanent or conditional residents should apply for a Re-entry Permit if they intend to be outside the USA for more than 1 year, but less than 2 years. It allows re-entering the United States upon returning from abroad, without having to obtain a returning resident visa. It establishes that you did not intend to abandon your status.

Meanwhile, you do not need a Re-entry Permit if you will be outside the USA for less than 1 year. In this case, you may use a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as your travel document.

Also, a Re-entry Permit can serve as a passport, if you plan on travelling and cannot get a passport from your home country. Many countries may allow using a Re-entry Permit much like you would use a passport, placing necessary visas and stamps in it, so you may use it as your main travel document.

Please also note that to file Form I-131 and obtain a Re-entry Permit, you must be physically present in the USA when you file the form. And it is recommended to submit the application 3-4 months before you intend to travel abroad.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.