Home  »  Knowledge base  »  Can I apply for a Refugee Travel Document after I leave the United States?

You must have a Refugee Travel Document to return to the United States after temporary travel abroad, unless you have other appropriate documents, such as a Permanent Resident Card and passport.

You must apply for a Refugee Travel Document before you leave the United States. Please note that after the filing of your Form I-131, you will have to attend in person the biometrics services appointment. And if you fail to appear for the appointment, the application may be denied.

Thus, according to the rules you must file Form I-131 and wait till USCIS approves it. And only after you obtain your Refugee Travel Document you are free to travel outside the USA.

Usually, Form I-131 is approved within 3 months, if there are no mistakes and/or omissions in your documents. However, if you need to receive your Refugee Travel Document faster due to an emergency situation, you may be eligible to request an expedited processing.

If you still need to leave the USA before you obtain your Refugee Travel Document or if you want to apply for the travel document outside the USA, we recommend you to consult with an immigration attorney.

646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.