Home  »  Knowledge base  »  What is Form I-131, Application for Travel Document?

This is one of the shortest USCIS forms, it consists of only 5 pages. You can use Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole travel document.

You should submit Form I-131 to USCIS and get it approved before traveling abroad, including trips to Mexico and Canada, thus you will be able to re-enter the United States. For example, this form is required in case you plan to leave the USA while your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is still pending.

A re-entry permit allows a lawful permanent resident or a conditional permanent resident to apply for admission to the USA upon returning from abroad during the permit’s validity, without obtaining a returning resident visa.

A refugee travel document is issued to an individual who has valid refugee or asylee status and who wants to travel outside the USA. The document is required to return to the USA.

Advance parole document is intended for some other immigrant categories, such as adjustment of status applicants (according to Form I-485), individuals with temporary protected status, U visas and individuals with a grant of LIFE Act Family Unity Provisions benefits.

If you want to receive an e-Notification when your Form I-131 has been accepted, complete Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, and clip it to the front of your application.

Meanwhile, please do not confuse Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation). Form I-131A is intended for lawful permanent residents to apply for a travel document if they are returning from temporary overseas travel and their green card or reentry permit was lost, stolen or destroyed.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.