Home  »  Knowledge base  »  Why do alien spouses only get 2-year green cards?

The answer is simple. Alien spouses get only 2-year conditional green cards because this time is considered to be a probation period, during which the couple is supposed to build a record of their married relationship together. USCIS has to make sure that your marriage is bona fide, and that you are not simply trying to become a resident through marriage to a U.S. citizen. In order to evade marriage fraud, USCIS implements all measures to check and determine whether your marriage is legitimate and genuine.

Your conditional status will expire in 2 years. Afterwards, you and your spouse have to file Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, together with the evidence of a bona fide marriage, proving that you both entered into the marriage in good faith. You have to convince USCIS that the marriage was concluded not for the purpose of evading immigration laws of the USA. Thus, the conditional 2-year period helps to prevent green card fraud.


Also read:
How do I attach additional records to my I-751 petition?
Is there an interview after filing Form I-751?

646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.