U.S. Citizenship Requirements for 3-Year Married Permanent Resident

Permanent residents who are married to a U.S. citizen can apply for naturalization after only 3 years- a full 2 years before most other permanent residents can.

To be eligible, you must meet all the detailed requirements outlined in Section 319 (a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Here, we have simplified the requirements for you.







Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

USImmigrationForms.com is the premier online resource for helping you prepare your USCIS Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. Our groundbreaking software will guide you, step-by-step through the entire application with easy to understand instructions, while checking for mistakes.

We make the process so simple that you can do it yourself and we guarantee the USCIS will accept your application.

Applicants with no complications, such as arrests or immigration violations, can easily prepare their N-400 without the help of a lawyer, however, the USCIS still denies or rejects thousands of applications every year.

How to Use

See 3 short videos as it is easy and fast

Pass eligibility quiz

All our eligibility quizzes are prepared by experienced immigration attorneys and are easy to use and understand. It only takes several minutes to complete a quiz and find out if you all eligible to apply. If you pass the quiz we will automatically choose all required forms for your immigration case

Fill the forms


We provide you with all immigration forms you will need to submit to the USCIS and receive a positive result. Our forms are customised to ensure that you fully understand all questions and provide accurate answers in all required fields

Document Checklist

Once you fill out your immigration form(s) our system will generate a customized checklist of documents you will need to submit to the USCIS with your immigration case. You can easily upload your documents into our system and request an attorney review to ensure that they are accurate and sufficient

Our online software makes it so easy to complete your immigration paperwork

An applicant for naturalization after three years of marriage to a U.S. citizen must meet the following citizenship requirements:

Be 18 years of age or older

Without exception, applicants for this category must be at least 18 years old.

Be a green card holder for a minimum of 3 years

Prior to filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, applicants must have had their permanent resident cards for 3 years. On your green card, the date next to “Resident Since” indicates the exact date you were granted permanent resident status. You will be eligible for naturalization precisely 3 years from this date. However, the rules do allow you to file your application up to 90 days before your 3-year anniversary.

Have lived with your U.S. citizen spouse for a minimum of 3 years

An applicant in this category must be married to a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years prior to filing for naturalization. Their U.S. citizen spouse must have been a U.S. citizen for the entire 3 years, and the couple must remain married throughout the entire naturalization process including the oath ceremony. Divorce or death of the U.S. citizen spouse disqualifies the applicant from naturalization.

Have resided in the state or jurisdiction of filing for a minimum of 3 months prior to filing

Applicants must have resided in the state or USCIS jurisdiction of filing for at least 3 months before filing Form N-400. Moving to a new state or district will delay your eligibility to file by 3 months.

Have lived continuously in the U.S. for 3 years as a green card holder prior to filing the application

By maintaining a residence in inside the United States for the specified amount of time, you are showing your desire to assimilate to the American community and live in the U.S.

Although you are required to maintain this U.S. residency for 3 consecutive years immediately prior to filing your N-400, you are allowed to take trips abroad as long as you continue to show your desire to maintain residency by continuing to file your taxes. You should, however, avoid trips longer than 6 months as these may cause a disruption to your permanent resident status.

Additionally, you must continuously reside in the U.S. from the date you file your application until the date your naturalization process is complete. Certain exemptions may apply to this rule for applicants involved in employment overseas, including work with the U.S. Armed Forces or government.

Have been present in the United States for a minimum of 18 months out of those 3 years prior to filing the application

This requirement refers to the amount of time an applicant is actually present in the United States during the period prior to filing Form N-400. You must subtract every day you are absent from the United States. Exemptions for certain types of employment with the U.S. Armed Forces and government may apply to you.

Have a working knowledge of the English language and U.S. history and civics

Generally, applicants must know how to speak, read, and write English and know some U.S. history, as well as understand some concepts of the American government.

There are, however, some exceptions to this requirement for applicants with learning or physical disabilities.

Possess a good moral character

While applicants are not required to be perfect, they must demonstrate good moral character and a desire to abide by the principles of the U.S. Constitution and the laws and guidelines of American society. Applicants must abstain from the following activities to maintain their eligibility to naturalize:

  • Crimes with intent to harm another person
  • Crimes of fraud against the Government
  • 2 or more crimes with a combined penalty of a 5-year sentence
  • Controlled substance law violations (of U.S., state, or foreign country)
  • Persistent drunkenness
  • Prostitution
  • Illegal gambling
  • Having more than 1 spouse simultaneously (polygamy)
  • Lying for the purpose of obtaining immigration benefits
  • Failure to pay child support or alimony payments s ordered by the court
  • Incarceration of 180 total days in jail, prison, or other institution
  • Failure to complete probation, parole, or suspended sentence prior to applying for naturalization
  • Acts of terrorism
  • Persecution of individuals based on race, national origin, religious beliefs, or political or social affiliations

Our online software makes it so easy to complete your immigration paperwork

Be aware of any changes in US immigration policy

Our robot will always keep you posted on the Facebook



Usimmigrationforms.com is not a law firm. We do not provide legal advise or opinion to our customers. If you have a complicated case or need to receive a legal advise please consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

Immigration Advocacy Service

Immigration Advocacy Service

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.

With our Attorney Application Review option, you can choose to have an experienced immigration attorney review your application and correct any mistakes.


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.