Home  »  Knowledge base  »  I’m a permanent resident. Do I need a work permit?

The short answer is no. The right to work legally in the United States is one of the rights that comes with permanent residence.

As a permanent resident (green card holder), you have the right to live permanently in the USA and work in the USA at any legal work of your qualification and choosing (except for some jobs limited to US citizens only for security reasons).

US citizens and lawful permanent residents do not need an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or any other working permit, other than their green card.

However, if your application for the green card is still pending you will have to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, in order to obtain the right to work in the USA till you receive your green card. You can file Form I-765 either together with or after filing of Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!

Complete your immigration paperwork using our online software. We make it easy!


646-838-3958      info@usimmigrationforms.com



160 Broadway 4th floor New York NY 10038

160 Broadway 4th floor

New York NY 10038

Follow us

Follow us

Receive the latest news

Receive the latest news

TERMS AND CONDITIONS | PRIVACY U.S. immigration forms is not affiliated with the USCIS or any government agency. We are not a law firm, do not provide legal advice, and are not a substitute for the advice of an attorney. Customer support is for technical and billing issues only, and will not answer legal questions. Some forms that can be completed online using our service are available and come with written instructions for free from the USCIS. U.S. immigration forms purchase price does not include any government application, biometric or filing fees. Access to and use of the usimmigrationforms.com website, as well as all cancellation, termination or refund/return policies, are subject to U.S. immigration forms Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. The “U.S. immigration forms” mark and U.S. immigration forms logo are service marks registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under the laws of the United States of America.